The Maritime Department at AU offers a comprehensive range of programs and services to the maritime sector that are tailored to suit both statutory and industry needs.
These programs focus on quantifiable learning objectives and are competency-based. They are taught by knowledgeable, experienced, and professional instructors who employ a variety of current teaching techniques.
Our goal is to assist the maritime sectors in ensuring that their employees have the information, skills, and attitudes necessary to operate safely and efficiently in a challenging environment.
Approvals and Partnerships
AU Maritime Department courses have been developed both internally and in collaboration with established maritime education and training institutions and have been approved by recognized authorities where required.
AU MARITIME DEPARTMENT TRAINING PARTNERS
- Asian Institute for Commercial Training
- City of Glasgow College
- Wartsila Voyage
- Glasgow Maritime Academy
AU MARITIME DEPARTMENT APPROVALS
- United Kingdom Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA)
- Kuwait Ministry of Interior
International and Local Client Relationships
AU Maritime Department clients include oil majors, major shipping companies, port authorities, pilotage organizations and government and defense organizations.
Our courses have international recognition but at the same time are tailored to local requirements.
Major corporate clients that have chosen AU include:
- KPC (Kuwait Petroleum Company)
- KOC (Kuwait Oil Company)
- KOTC (Kuwait Oil Tanker Company)
- Ministry of Interior- Kuwait Coastguard
- Kuwait Naval Force
- Kuwait Ports Authority (KPA)
- Kuwait Environmental Public Authority (KEPA)
- Nakilat (Qatar)
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (STCW) (MCA approved)
- Human Element Leadership and Management (Operational) (STCW)
- Human Element Leadership and Management (Management) (STCW)
- Maritime Resource Management
- Ship to Ship (STS) Transfer Simulator
- ASD Tug Handling Simulator
- Marine Pilot Training
- Coastal Navigation (NOKITHA A)(available in Arabic & English and is required by the MOC for the Nokhitha A license)
- Search and Rescue Simulator
- GMDSS General Operator
- GMDSS Restricted Operator
- Basic Training in Oil, Chemical and Liquefied Gas Tanker Operations (STCW)
- Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations (STCW)
- Advanced Training for Chemical Tanker Cargo Operations (STCW)
- Advanced Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations (STCW)
- Oil Spill Combating for First Responders (IMO-1)
- Oil Spill Combating Operations for (Supervision IMO-2 and Management IMO-3)
- Shipboard Safety Officer
- Personal Safety & Social Responsibility (STCW)
- Elementary First Aid (STCW)
- Medical First Aid (STCW)
- Proficiency in Medical Care on Board Ships (STCW)
- International Ship and Port Facility Security Code (ISPS)
- Proficiency in Security Awareness (STCW) (MOC)
- Proficiency in Designated Security Duties (STCW) (MOC)
- Ship Security Officer (STCW) (MOC)
- Company Security Officer (MOC)
- Port Facility Security Officer (MOC)
- ISM Lead Auditor
- Training Course for Instructors (IMO Model Course 6.09)
- Customised courses are available on request
Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science
Australian University and City of Glasgow college cooperating to provide High National Diploma program in Nautical Science in Kuwait.
The Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science provides the type of officer who is in great demand worldwide. Currently this demand exceeds supply and therefore employment opportunities are enhanced.
The use of the Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science with its wide range of nautical subjects provides the academic requirements for Certificates of Competency and has long been recognized for reasons as follows:
- The Advanced Diploma commands respect among young people, their parents, and careers advisors.
- As part of the overall training scheme the Advanced Diploma works well and produces an outcome which matches the needs of employers, in that it provides officers who are adaptable to change, flexible in their roles and attitudes and able to move from ship to ship, having a thorough understanding of their duties.
- The Advanced Diploma is recognized by higher education institutions to the extent that in many cases it enables direct progression into the 2nd year or above of many degree programs.
- The Advanced Diploma provides status and is seen by the industry as a valuable base for progression to shore-based employment within the individual company structure.
- The Advanced Diploma is recognized internationally and is in high demand for qualifications as part of a Merchant Navy Certificate of Competency from numerous foreign nationals at all levels.
- The Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science also provides the skills and knowledge relevant to many shore-based careers in the operational aspects of shipping, including ship management, cargo handling, pilotage, towage, pollution control, surveying, port control and other marine related occupations.
- The awards allow for great flexibility in delivery to a wider range of entry qualifications.
The principal aim of the Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science is to provide the education and training programme to gain merchant navy certificates of competency in the deck department.
The Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science has several general aims which can be summarized as follows:
To develop the ability to analyse and plan tasks commonly encountered in the work place.
- To develop approaches to problem solving and critical thinking.
- To develop an evaluative and reflective approach to work and studies.
- To develop the ability to work and communicate effectively with others.
- To develop the ability to plan and organize studies and research.
- To develop skills for employability and progression to higher qualifications.
- To enable the learner to consolidate knowledge and skills to enhance career progression.
- To enable the learner to develop skills to enhance their own personal development.
- To develop Core Skills which are capable of being transferred to any type of employment.
- The Advanced Diploma in Nautical Science aims to equip you with the skills to gain employment at both the operational and management level in the following vocational areas:
- Ship management
- Port and harbor operations
- Freight and transportation operations
- Marine insurance industry
- Ship broking and chartering
- The wider maritime safety industry, e.g., safety equipment manufacturers, meteorological services, pollution prevention services, etc.